[governance] United Airlines 'Network Outage' Snarls Air Travel

Charity Gamboa charityg at diplomacy.edu
Tue Sep 11 01:04:21 EDT 2012

You know - network outage may happen anywhere. We rely so much on
technology we sometimes feel "handicapped" without it. I taught using
smartboards and have made accommodations on computer use for people who are
handicapped or with learning disabilities. When our network crashed, I had
no choice but to teach the old-fashioned way of paper, highlighter and pen.
We can't cancel classes just because the Internet is down or the local
network is out. This goes to  airlines who are as vulnerable as any company
who rely on the network to do its work. I don't see how tweeting every
minute until the plane leaves will accomplish anything other than
you have no choice but for you to wait until the plane leaves. A couple of
months ago my city had a power outage which messed up all the traffic
lights. Networks went down for 6 hours. I was stuck in traffic and the
intersection becomes a 4-way stop until uniformed and even off-duty cops
directed traffic. Has anyone ever seen how traffic enforcers in the
Philippines would dance while directing traffic in order to entertain
motorists?  I just think that people complain too much. My students
complain too much. Would you expect a college student to run back for a
textbook to their dorm? Nope - but they will if they forgot their phone.
  We only just seem to think we are powerless when in fact human ingenuity
is still alive.

Regards,
Charity