[governance] Best Bits - 3-4 November, Days Hotel, Baku, Azerbaijan

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun Sep 9 07:38:58 EDT 2012

Following on from my earlier "save the date" message, I would like to confirm that "Best Bits", a strategic gathering of NGOs around Internet governance and Internet principles, will be taking place at the Days Hotel, Azerbaijan on 3-4 November 2012, and that Internet Governance Caucus members are warmly invited to participate.  There is a website (currently a pad, though that may change) for the event at http://igf-online.net/bestbits and a mailing list at http://lists.igcaucus.org/info/bestbits.

The main motivation for this meeting was the recognition by a number of individuals and groups of the potential benefits of a "big tent" gathering that would bring together NGOs and experts from global North and South who are working on Internet policy advocacy from different perspectives, and who could benefit from broadening both their input and their outreach through an event like this.  Rather than detracting from the diversity of these approaches, the event will seek to share and build upon the "best bits" of each of them.

But rather than "just" networking, tangible outputs are also expected from the event: firstly finalisation of the civil society statement of Internet governance principles that we announced our intention to draft at last year's IGF (coordinated by Wolfgang Kleinwächter), and a statement to the ITU WCIT on the revision of the ITRs (coordinated by Bill Drake).  We are also soliciting background briefing papers on the topics of discussion that Andrew Puddephatt will be compiling as a resource for those attending.

Please visit http://igf-online.net/bestbits to read more about the agenda for the meeting, and the motivations behind it.  In lieu of a formal registration form, you can add your name to the pad if you will be coming.  At this stage no further requests for travel assistance are likely to be able to be considered, as a number of existing requests are still pending, so you are asked to cover your own travel expenses.  However you can benefit from our group rate at the hotel (contact me about this), and the IGF's visa on arrival procedure.

Please feel free to share this announcement through your other networks.  Thanks, and we look forward to seeing many of you at Best Bits and the IGF.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Your rights, our mission – download CI's Strategy 2015: http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.