[governance] Re: Choice of venue for meetings

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:30:58 EDT 2012

@ Ginger, as I reflect on your post, these are some things that come to
mind. There are numerous reasons why countries want to host global events.
They could be because of:-

   - convenience (there may be other meetings held in conjunction or
   immediately preceding the meeting;
   - affordability - cheaper to have it adjoining;
   - accessibility - for meeting participants if they have been brought in
   for other meetings;
   - convergence of a pool of global knowledge manifesting in the form of
   experts, resource persons, best practices, challenges etc which they can
   draw from to develop certain areas in country;
   - (from Liz's excerpt) showcasing national assets - it is natural for
   countries to have a sense of patriotism and desire to show off their
   country;
   - if they have been subject to bad press or reported to have been
   "mischievous", then to improve media relations etc;

So bottom line the question is "what's in it for them?". I think the
question is also a two way street. Where one must also examine the persons
doing the selection because this also affects the type of decisions that
are made. For instance, if  country A is at war  with country B, then there
is a greater likelihood that country A if they have a say in the selection
process will not want to country B to host such a global meeting.

So it follows that it more or less is a subjective experience hence the
need to discuss whether there should be a consistent set of rules that
should be applicable when selecting host countries. And in the course of
these discussions, it must also never be forgotten that sometimes
engagement rather than confrontation can be a catalyst for change.

Thoughts from the far seas,
Sala

--
Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala