[governance] ICANN stumbling on a hornet nest

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 18:52:20 EDT 2012

> Snip
>

> --------
>
>  salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro@**gmail.com<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>  At Large in itself is not an accountability mechanism ...
>>

> I would substantially differ with that assessment.  If ICANN is not
> accountable to those for whose benefit it exists, i.e. the public community
> of internet users, then to whom is it accountable, and how?
>
> If we use your rationale who then comprises of the public community of
internet users?

 There is space for anyone within the broad public community to engage
whether they wish to opt and join the Non Commercial Stakeholders or At
Large etc?

> As it currently stands the only person who clearly has the power to hold
> ICANN accountable is the Attorney General of California, Kamala Harris.
>
> and so does the AG of every other country if you really think about it.
Whilst ICANN is a body corporate registered under Californian laws, it can
also be seen as a MNC by virtue of its dealings in virtually every country
that has a ccTLD or gTLD. That is just one dimension of analysis. The
internal checks and balances that are created from the cross constituencies
and support organisations also exist to check and balance each other's
voices so that everyone's interests in the information infrastructure space
is accounted for.

> It strikes me that in these matters of internet governance that a body of
> governance should be subject to a clear, unambiguous, and viable chain of
> accountability to those for whose benefit that body exists.

It already does, last time I check and if it does not, then one can raise
it formally through mechanisms provided for within the Bylaws.