[governance] ICANN stumbling on a hornet nest

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Sep 4 15:30:09 EDT 2012

In message
<855077AC3D7A7147A7570370CA01ECD220CD63 at SUEX10-mbx-10.ad.syr.edu>, at
16:21:01 on Tue, 4 Sep 2012, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> writes

>Surely we all know that ICANN has been in this hornet's nest since at
>least 2004, when .xxx was first mooted.

The current new-gTLD process was conceived as a way to "never have to
repeat" the problems ICANN encountered with one-off applications such as
.xxx according to then chair Vint Cerf.
--
Roland Perry