[governance] ICANN stumbling on a hornet nest

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Sep 4 03:40:33 EDT 2012

On 09/03/2012 07:53 PM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:

> To answer your question it would be the holder of Seat 15.

By-the-way, to ring my own bell more than a bit excessively - I was a
member of the 2008 Board Review Committee that pushed hard for that seat
to be created - our report may be viewed at:

> http://www.icann.org/en/groups/reviews/alac/final-report-alac-review-28jan09-en.pdf

(I agreed with the report, but I went a bit further and wrote Appendix 3
starting on page 32.)

I am a strong advocate of the idea that bodies of governance should have
strong, even dominant, elements of public control.

But we all must recognize that there is a legitimate fear held by many
of a notion that I will ungraciously call "the mob" - we have all seen
how in electronic discussions that a few can derail the progress of the
many.

In any body of internet governance we need to have a seed of public
participation - I prefer a large seed others prefer a smaller one - from
which can grow a respectful and disciplined body and process for debate
and decision making.

	--karl--