[governance] ICANN stumbling on a hornet nest

Chaitanya Dhareshwar chaitanyabd at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 03:27:49 EDT 2012

James,

I think what Alex wanted to illustrate is that it's easy enough to 'buy'
votes - maybe by making a commitment, or people are 'sold' because they see
the candidate's profile and are happy to have a leap of faith believing
their choice of candidate will make a difference.

The difference between voters and votes - in India at least - is usually
the number of people that get pulled in by the campaign versus the number
of people that made a researched choice to vote for a given candidate. The
flare up effect would happen because of this - say I advertise that I
intend to bring in massive projects for farmers - maybe free electricity -
the farmers are likely to vote for me; however these are the 'flares' that
may not have any real interest in me, my capability or my future in that
seat.

The last part about evidence, etc - see Alex is not saying that he didnt
deserve the win. He's just saying that the result of that didnt change much
- which is in line with what Karl said "ICANN did not change much after my
law suite prevailed."

-Chaitanya