[governance] ICANN stumbling on a hornet nest

James S. Tyre jstyre at jstyre.com
Mon Sep 3 14:00:34 EDT 2012

> I am that board member.

And I was your lead lawyer.  (Which, obviously, you know, but most here presumably don't.)

> Attacks on me made by ICANN in their legal filings were, to my mind, personal,
> gratuitous, unprofessional, and, of course, unfounded.  A decade has passed and I
> can't remember whether we moved to exclude those on the grounds that ICANN's
> "evidence" was not relevant to the case at hand or whether we left it in as
> demonstrative of ICANN's way of reacting to those it considered hostile.

We filed token objections to some of it.  The Court ruled in your favor without really addressing those objections.  My particular favorite was Vint introducing a strongly worded email from John Gilmore to Vint as "evidence" of your supposedly bad character.

> Even after the court threw out ICANN's defenses and granted me nearly every thing that
> I had asked ICANN's press releases tried to characterize their utter defeat as if they
> had won a great victory.

At least Louis gave us ICANN Staff coffee mugs to show for it.  I still have mine.  '-)

--
James S. Tyre
Law Offices of James S. Tyre
jstyre at jstyre.com
Policy Fellow, Electronic Frontier Foundation
https://www.eff.org