[governance] Big Porn v. Big Web Ruling Could Spell Trouble for ICANN / was Re: new gTLDs

Chaitanya Dhareshwar chaitanyabd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 06:20:30 EDT 2012

Very true Avri, telecom has a very good example here in India

Take Vodafone as an example. The government here modified the tax law with
retrospective effect from 1960-something just to get them to pay a few
billion rupees extra in taxes. Though Vodafone wasnt an Indian entity they
bought an office (and linked services) in India - yet the rules in India -
modified RETROSPECTIVELY - still affect them. So if the government were to
pursue they could technically recover taxes from them.

What are the hand-waving options btw? They sound interesting :)

-C