[governance] WCIT @ Baku

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Oct 31 06:48:49 EDT 2012

Hello

Since there's been much discussion of late on the WCIT, I wanted to call the your attention a couple of opportunities to explore the issues in Baku (in addition to the Best Bits meeting).

On Day 1 of the IGF, Markus Kummer and I have organized (with the cosponsorship of APC, OII, and IIPL in Beijing) a workshop on, The International Telecommunication Regulations and Internet Governance: Multistakeholder Perspectives http://tinyurl.com/IGF-Baku-ITR-workshop.  The event will be held Tuesday 6 November from 16:30-18:00 in Conference Room 5.  Speakers will include Richard Beaird (US Department of State),  Vint Cerf (Google), Geoff Huston (APNIC), Alice Munyua (Government of Kenya), Franklin Silva Netto (Government of Brazil), and myself, with Markus moderating.

On Day 2, I will be co-moderating with Chris Disspain the Main Session on CIRs, Wednesday 7 from 9:30-12:30 in the main session room.  Topics covered will include international reactions to "controversial" new gTLDs, IPv4 markets and the transition to IPv6, the ITRs and WCIT, and enhanced cooperation.  Speakers will include Fiona Alexander (Government of the United States), Anriette Esterhuysen (APC), Luigi Gambardella (European Telecommunications Network Operators), David Gross (Wiley Rein, and former US Ambassador), Geoff Huston (APNIC), Milton Mueller (Syracuse University) Alice Munyua (Government of Kenya), Franklin Silva Netto (Government of Brazil), and Pedro Veiga (ISOC Portugal & GAC).

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
International Fellow & Lecturer