Reasons for 'Internet Traffic Intelligence and Surveillance" products (was Re: [governance] speaker at the opening ceremony?)

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Tue Oct 30 13:33:41 EDT 2012

On 10/30/2012 08:31 AM, David Conrad wrote:

> I'm curious: how does "US-Centric Internet Resource Management" cause
> PTCL (et al) to purchase products like Sandvine's?

Which reminds me of something on a rather different tangent.

There is a fine line between "bad" monitoring and probing of the net and
"good" diagnostic and repair activities.

Whatever happens in the world of internet regulation or governance there
should be some attention paid to the fact that some of us need to dig
into the net to detect wobbles and fix them.

The internet will always need skilled technical surgeons - and they will
need network tools as sharp and penetrating as scalpels.  We need to
recognize this and not have systems that threaten or condemn such people
just because they may have sharp tools.

(Over the years I have built many network diagnostic tools and I have
found that active tools - the most dangerous kind - are often the most
useful and powerful.  But they do need to be used with care and with a
sense of ethics.)

	--karl--