[governance] speaker at the opening ceremony?

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Oct 29 04:08:59 EDT 2012

On 29/10/2012 01:59, Louis Pouzin (well) wrote:
> Dear Carlos, FWIW.
> Louis
> - - -
>
> From the WSIS preparation (2002) till now (2012) an enormous amount of
> intellectual exchanges has occurred among stakeholders. Understanding
> internet governance issues has progressed substantially. On the other
> hand no concrete evolution has taken place. US positions are dead set
> against any sharing of internet governance, and in the present context
> it is deemed to become ever more rigid and conflictual.
>
> The only forces able to bring about changes are governments
> initiatives to organize national governance on their part of the
> internet. However there does not appear much commonality in ways they
> are proceeding. To keep dialog going on, the IGF should change its
> ritual theme driven structure. Instead, governments should be invited
> to present their internet strategy along with predictable risks and
> benefits.

And thus I respectfully disagree. I disagree with top-down government
initiatives to organize national governance on their part of the internet.
The Internet has become the success it is today thanks to a
multi-stakeholder bottom-up process. In-line with this development, many
local IGF initiatives were born out of a bottom-up process with the
government being only one of the participants, often having nothing to
do with the actual organization of the local IGF.

I completely understand your point of view. I have another one that is
diametrically opposed.
This, in effect is the crux of the question Internet governance is faced
with today: top-down or bottom-up?

Kind regards,

Olivier

--