[governance] U.S. - Japan Policy Cooperation Dialogue on the Internet Economy

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 16:45:20 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> [snip] There just is no popular support for greater UN involvement in
> Internet governance.

With the caveat that it be appropriately drafted and designed, I would
support greater UN involvement in Internet governance. In any case, at
minimum, it would appear that greater involvement by this listserv in
Internet governance might be fairly said to be greater UN involvement.  Is
this problematic -- is there "no popular support" for anything greater when
it comes to the UN?

"NO popular support" is a very strong statement, and as applied to "greater
UN involvement" it is not true since at least one person expressing support
would be more than "no" support, and I have done so above.  It would be
easy to expand the number of counterexamples.

This statement of "no popular support" appears to be a specific example of
at least exaggeration if not false claim regarding what amounts to the
mantle of democracy, since democracy is supposed to be responsive to
popular support and is somewhat interchangeable in this context.

I would be happy to allow Mr. Mueller the latitude to make what amount in
part to political arguments, but it seems that in the course of this email
I refer to below, a stricter policy in terms of how one characterizes
support or the lack thereof is being urged by Mr. Mueller, so I think it's
only fair to hold him to about the same standard he urges for others.

Paul Lehto, J.D.

Milton L. Mueller
> Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
> Internet Governance Project
> http://blog.internetgovernance.org

Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1