[governance] U.S. - Japan Policy Cooperation Dialogue on the Internet Economy

Paul Lehto lehto.paul at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 16:27:31 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch <
apisan at unam.mx> wrote:

>  I think that "many who are uncomfortable with democratization
> nevertheless claim its mantle" is an interesting statement. If you mean
> anyone in particular it may be better to know. As you know, often in
> debates about democracy, such a statement is cast and each side may claim
> it applies to the other one.

When numerous sides to the same debate, and even countries and former
countries like the The *German Democratic Republic* (*Deutsche
Demokratische Republik)* all claim the mantle of democracy, I think the
vast majority of people can agree at least in principle that some who are
not democratic nevertheless claim its mantle. (By falsely claiming "the
mantle" I mean that the substance of what they support, if enacted, would
not be democracy or pro-democracy.)

Most recently, if the claim were made that MS governance is an example of
the flowering of real democracy, I would consider that a false claim to the
mantle of democracy. (Nobody used those exact words and it is not my
intention to name names even if I could think of some names to use.) I

I would say that it is indeed controvertible that, around the world,
various folks falsely claim the mantle of democracy,  I would also
stipulate that somewhere, perhaps even here, there will definitely be folks
who disagree with my assessment in a particular case.  Presently we don't
have elections or trials or any other fora to resolve such "academic"
disagreements no matter how important they may seem to be.

Paul Lehto, J.D.

--
Paul R Lehto, J.D.
P.O. Box 1