[governance] Amazon Allegedly Deletes Customer's Kindle; Incident Triggers Discussion About Ebooks, DRM

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed Oct 24 09:44:53 EDT 2012

I guess Amazon's using some regional content control.  Long been
regional control on the sale of video and DVD, and you can't buy MP3
from Amazon unless you're in the right territory (I've a UK proxy
server, used to be able to buy MP3s from Amazon UK, but they can now
detect I'm in Japan and can't buy, can't give the music industry money
:-))  Why it would do that on books only an IP lawyer with their head
firmly up their own (self interest) would know.

So I can rant:  I enjoy a radio program called "desert island discs".
I guess everyone in the UK knows it, been broadcast for 70 years.
Simple format, each week a well-known (sometimes not so well known)
person is invited to bring in 8 records they'd take with them if
marooned alone on a desert island. Through questions about the songs,
why they are important to the guest, we hear about a life, and 8 songs
are played. Parts of 8 songs, not the whole, usually a couple of
minutes.  The whole program's only 45 minutes

So someone reasonably famous is playing 8 songs they like.  They say
why they like them, why they are important to them. Very rare for
there to be anything from a current chart.  And the BBC has now made
most of the episodes available on line.  Hundreds of interviews, each
plugging a bit of nostalgia. The most recent guest is Mona Siddiqui
(Martina Navratilova's also there, Goldie Hawn, Vidal Sassoon, Bob
Geldof, Norman Schwarzkopf, Stephen Hawking... and on and on and on.)

And for rights reason, in the download version they have to cut the
music to about 15 seconds.  Not even the 30 seconds free listen you
get on iTunes or Amazon.

A well known person, perhaps a Muslim theologian (Mona Siddiqui) not
so many have heard of, but there she is, plugging records, reminding
us how much we like UB40, and for rights reasons we can't hear more
than a few bars.  And downloading it killing the music industry. Not.

Adam (at the moment only sure about 5 songs out of 8, good thing I'm not famous)