[governance] Amazon Allegedly Deletes Customer's Kindle; Incident Triggers Discussion About Ebooks, DRM

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Tue Oct 23 14:47:28 EDT 2012

Hi Deirdre,

Since I was discussing this in my Information Policy class yesterday, I will try to help.

First, free yourself from the notion that you ever 'bought' any e-content at any Amazon site.

And of course you never owned anything on any Kindle.

Second, read the fine print.  In the very very very fine print, you will realize that what you paid for was the right to use X on Y device with Z conditions.

If you are outside the bounds of what you paid for the right to use - in other words, you have a rental and not a sales agreement - then unfortunately, in real life, the customer is not always right.

So sounds all perfectly legal, even if perfectly annoying.   And not wise practice for firms relying on repeat customers, given their content rental business model.

Lee