[governance] U.S. - Japan Policy Cooperation Dialogue on the Internet Economy

Kerry Brown kerry at kdbsystems.com
Mon Oct 22 16:31:47 EDT 2012

In Canada we only have two IXPs and one transit exchange. Because the US is so close the ISPs find it cheaper to go to the US. Almost all Canadian Internet traffic flows through the US at some point. This is becoming an issue because of things like the Patriot Act. This also makes it hard for small ISPs to get good access to content providers. CIRA (I am on their board) is in the early stages of bootstrapping several not for profit IXPs across Canada very much on the model that Alejandro talks about here. My understanding is that this model is quite common in Europe.

http://cira.ca/news/ixp

Kerry Brown