[governance] US Banks under cyber attack

Devon Blake devonrb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 19:43:15 EDT 2012

I am trying to see these activities and the responses to this thread in the
lnterests of the IG community. As posited by some of these responses, these
attack could be:

   1.  A means of buying time while resources are being marshalled for the
   real and more devastating attack.
   2. Nuisance attacks aimed at undercutting real value such as labour
   time, and or equipment time that could have been used for increased
   productivity.
   3. Depending on who is suspected of initiating the threat, It could be a
   red herring strategy designed to give the Western powers an excuse to go
   after radical and internet containment regimes.

I cannot fully agree that banks are fullly secure, as i do not believe the
losses and costs of internet attacks on banks are not necessarily readily
available to the non bank community. Banks are always vulnerable as their
main currency is trust, when that is eroded either through their own
actions or the actions of others the result could be catastrophic. It is
not even necessary to have successful attacks, as long as information on
the attacks can be published in such a way that it undermines public trust.

With Social Network Sales projected to grow in 2012 from $US3B to $US14B by
2015, They will become fair targets for interception and redirection
strategies which again could affect consumer confidence in social networks
as a sales tool.

I guess this is just the tip of of the ice berg, civil society who will
most likely be the main victims in these scenarios, need to develop the
necessary awareness of those basic internet habits that are detrimental to
their online security, and those habits they need to build so that they may
increase that same security.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Chaitanya Dhareshwar <chaitanyabd at gmail.com