[governance] Librarise and Beyond Access in Washington DC

Stuart Hamilton Stuart.Hamilton at ifla.org
Fri Oct 19 03:31:35 EDT 2012

Dear Colleagues

Ahead of the forthcoming Internet Governance Forum (IGF) in Baku,
Azerbaijan where IFLA, Electronic Information for Libraries (EIFL) and
the Internet Society (ISOC) have arranged a workshop (number 130) on
libraries and public access, I would like to a share with you a quick
report from this month's major conference on libraries and development
in Washington DC. The Beyond Access conference, which featured IFLA as
an organising partner along with several other library organisations
(http://www.beyondaccess.net/beyond-access-members/), bought together
librarians, policymakers and funders to look at the ways that public
libraries can deliver information and advance development.

A short report is available here on the IREX website:
http://www.irex.org/news/usaid-administrator-irex-and-partners-point-lib
raries-change-lives?utm_source=IREX+Get+Updates&utm_campaign=51039be703-
Beyond_Access_Recap10_18_2012&utm_medium=email

In the coming week we will make an announcement regarding the IGF
workshop that will contain details of how you can follow it online, and
participate remotely. The IGF will also see the first meeting of the
Dynamic Coalition on Public Access in Libraries. You can find more
information on this here:
http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/component/content/article/114-preparatory
-process/1003-dynamic-coalition-on-public-libraries

Please share this information with interested colleagues, and I look
forward to your participation (remotely or onsite) in our workshop in
Baku.

Kind regards,

Stuart

Stuart Hamilton

Director of Policy and Advocacy

International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA)

P.O. Box 95312
2509 CH The Hague
Netherlands

00 31 70 314 0884