[governance] Africa to launch own Internet exchange point

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Oct 18 14:28:58 EDT 2012

Hi Norbert,

On Oct 18, 2012, at 12:18 PM, Norbert Klein <nhklein at gmx.net> wrote:
> I thought it was also interesting that this effort of ISOC is reported here by Xinhua via the China Daily. Maybe an indication that the internationally experienced and active hardware supplier Huawei will help the Banjul efforts, and whoever will by trained with the experience of ISOC when new IXP will be set up in more places in Africa.

My understanding is that the training (done by folks from ISOC partnering with AfriNIC and other Africa-based organizations is technology neutral.  I'm told by one of the folks involved in Gambia that they expect the IXP to be set up in 6 months or so.  As far as I know, there hasn't been any decision on hardware in the IXP.

Regards,
-drc