[governance] The ITU/WCIT: Thinking About Internet Regulatory Policy From An LDC Perspective?

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 03:52:28 EDT 2012

One way out of the impasse is to look at the treatment of these issues
differently than the traditional neoclassical economics sense...

Oligopoly has its privileges and costs - but are tolerated particularly
in enterprises with high fixed costs and the need to maintain/enhance
capabilities/innovation.

Lower prices to consumers is the classical spread of benefits... there
is also the German Historical School economics that focusses on the
ability of entrepreneurial firms pushing up both wages and profits - the
collusive spread - that has other synergistic effects.

In other instances, would access be facilitated even more by sharing of
infrastructure for network coverage (forms of cooperation not evident in
many countries where there is capital shortage (or high cost) as UNCTAD
previously indicated? I.e. is the liberalisation competitive model the
most efficient in its own terms, or can it be improved by policy (i.e.
no policy policy vs a policy)? I mean haracter for character SMS seems
to be the highest cost telecoms (even in some cases when compared to
satelite comms)...