[governance] Philippine Cybercrime Prevention Act temporarily suspended

Charity Gamboa charityg at diplomacy.edu
Wed Oct 10 03:30:49 EDT 2012

Just an FYI,  in pre-ISOC PH days I believe some organizations in the
Philippines were consulted about drafting a cybercrime law. I think the
main contention at that time was more of pushing for an e-commerce law. I
remember this one since I was part of a group of entrepreneurs who was
trained by the Philippine Youth Commission on Entrepreneurship. The
business industry at that point in the Philippines was booming with a new
administration in place. I was managing my family's business at that time
so there was a lot of movement on pushing for e-commerce. I call it
pre-ISOC PH because ISOC PH was rejuvenated sometime in early 2009.

As far as I know, we in ISOC PH  issued a position paper sometime in March
of 2012 to Congress. But apparently, during bi-cameral, senate inserted
some provisions that just did not pass a lot of scrutiny from different
stakeholders.We are still discussing this and gathering opinions from our
members. Hopefully, we can collate all views and turn in another position
paper.