[governance] Re: From NWICO to WSIS: 30 years of communication geopolitics

Julia Pohle jpohle at vub.ac.be
Thu Oct 4 10:24:30 EDT 2012

Dear Deirdre,
Divina added the attachment, but it wasn't sent by the list server.
Please find below the table of content and the link to the publisher's
website.
Best regards,
Julia

http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/books/view-Book,id=4874/

 From NWICO to WSIS: 30 Years of Communication Geopolitics
Actors and Flows, Structures and Divides.

Edited by
Divina Frau-Meigs, Jérémie Nicey, Michael Palmer, Julia Pohle and
Patricio Tupper

Two major regulatory activities have framed global media policies since
World War II: the New World Information and Communication Order (NWICO)
and the more recent World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS).
Through extensive research and testimonies from those involved, this
book presents an in-depth account from the 1970s to the present of the
major issues concerning information flow in international geopolitics,
including a look at the negotiations surrounding the major policy
debates. Few studies of NWICO and WSIS have considered the continuity
between the two activities – or included in the debate the crucial
intermediary period between – and this book provides new insight into an
issue of multilingual and multicultural importance.

PART I: On the Agenda: NWICO

  * Corelations between NWICO and Information Society: Reflections of a
    NWICO actor (Mustapha Masmoudi)
  * The history of NWICO and its lessons (Kaarle Nordenstreng)
  * NWICO: Reuters’ Gerald Long versus UNESCO’s Seán MacBride (Michael
    Palmer)
  * IPS, an alternative source of news: From NWICO to civil society
    (Patricio Tupper)
  * New scenarios for the Right to Communicate in Latin America (Gustavo
    Gonzalez Rodriguez)
  * Past witnesses’ present comments (Hıfzı Topuz)

PART II: Shifting Sands

  * The Right to Communicate – A continuing victim of historic links to
    NWICO and UNESCO? (Alan McKenna)
  * ‘Going Digital’: A historical perspective on early international
    coperation in informatics (Julia Pohle)
  * ICTs, discourse and knowledge societies: Implications for policy and
    practice (Robin Mansell)
  * Past witnesses’ present comments (Alain Modoux)

PART III: Changing the agenda: WSIS and the future

  * Towards Knowledge Societies in UNESCO and beyond (J.P. Singh)
  * The notion of acess to information and knowledge: Challenges and
    divides, sectors and limits (Jérémie Nicey)
  * The international news agencies (and their TV/multimedia sites): The
    defence of their traditional lead in international news production
    (Camille Laville and Michael Palmer)
  * The least imperfect form of global governance yet? Civil society and
    multistakeholder governance of communication (Jeremy Shtern, Normand
    Landry and Marc Raboy)
  * Civil society and the amplification of media governance, during WSIS
    and beyond (Divina Frau-Meigs)
  * Past witnesses’ present comments (Bertrand de La Chapelle)

Postface: From New International Information Order to New Information
Market Order (Roberto Savio)

Project website with filmed interview excerpts:
http://nwico2wsis.wordpress.com