[governance] Philippine Controversy Over the CyberCrime Law

Charity Gamboa charityg at diplomacy.edu
Wed Oct 3 13:39:01 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I am just sharing about what's going on my turf. Apparently the Philippine
Government passed a CyberCRime Prevention Act - well, I suppose that's good
against hacking, identity theft and spamming. But there's a provision on
online libel that's pretty getting on every Filipino's nerves.Anything that
you would post, for instance, in Facebook criticizing anybody is considered
libel. This also includes sharing or liking a post or picture. Just to show
that sometimes politicians have no business making laws they know nothing
much. Here's a news story from Forbes below:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/10/02/the-philippines-passes-the-cybercrime-prevention-act-that-makes-sopa-look-reasonable/

Regards,
Charity