[governance] Google vs Doogle: Internet Goliath threatens young South African

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:39:34 EST 2012

  Google vs Doogle: Internet Goliath threatens young South African

The internet super giant has threatened legal action against a tiny
jobseeker website run by a 23-year-old South African.

By Jenni Smout <http://www.thesouthafrican.com/author/jenni-smout> on 29
November, 2012 4:33 pm in Highlights and Special Offers
<http://www.thesouthafrican.com/highlights-and-special-offers>, News
<http://www.thesouthafrican.com/news> / no comments
<http://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/google-vs-doogle-internet-goliath-threatens-young-south-african.htm#commentspost>

<http://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/google-vs-doogle-internet-goliath-threatens-young-south-african.htm#>

<http://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/google-vs-doogle-internet-goliath-threatens-young-south-african.htm#>
http://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/google-vs-doogle-internet-goliath-threatens-young-south-african.htm
<http://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/google-vs-doogle-internet-goliath-threatens-young-south-african.htm#>

<http://www.thesouthafrican.com/news/google-vs-doogle-internet-goliath-threatens-young-south-african.htm/attachment/doogle>

Andries Maree van der Merwe from Mpumalanga received a letter from
Google's lawyers ordering him to either shut down or change the name and
logo of his website Doogle. The site, set up in January 2011, allows
those searching for work to upload their details for free and browse
online directories.

The website was set up after Van der Merwe dropped out of school  aged
16 and worked as a street vendor. "I sold newspapers on street corners
and people told me what was wrong," he recalled. "They wanted a place
where they could go to find a job."

After Van der Merwe had an idea for the website he bought a computer for
R600 from a pawn shop. The website is slowly growing, having recently
received its millionth hit, but  not yet making any money. "Sometimes I
have to catch fish from the river to eat. But I think God is with me,"
he said.

Google, worth an estimated £160bn with 7.2 billion hits a day, has
complained that his logo and search engine infringe its trademark and
there is a danger that users will assume Doogle is associated with Google.

Van der Merwe has offered to put a notice on the site, distancing Doogle
from Google. Google's spokesperson in South Africa was unable to comment
directly on the case, but stated "we are passionate about protecting the
reputation of our brand".

Yet the South African remains defiant. "I'm not giving up my name.
Doogle is who I am. It's my business. I registered the company and
legally acquired the domain." His lawyer Emmie de Kock described it as
"a possible David-Goliath style battle".