[governance] important days and most important WCIT agenda itemd

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 06:26:47 EST 2012

I think that actually explains quite a lot about what is going on with the
ITU itself.

As a UN organization it is governed by a set of (archaic) rules of operation
which it is internally unable to change whether the internal bureaucracy
would like to or not i.e. which only consensus among the member governments
would allow to change. (this is the explanation for the somewhat bizarre
statement Adam was pointing to...

In the context of the UN itself this has proven to be a huge impediment to
effectively responding to the changes/new risks/new opportunities presented
by evolving economies/geo-politics/technologies... they are literally
strangling on their own (i.e. their govenmental masters' imposed) red
tape...

Having worked for a time inside the UN system in part attempting to "reform"
that beast, I have a considerable sympathy for their position but on balance
the fact that they need to do what Adam has pointed to suggests that the
strangulation may in fact be terminal. The problem with that though is that
when one begins to contemplate how to respond to some/many/most of the
issues that one needs a global "governance" body for, what one conjures up
is something not all that dissimilar from what we have now but of course one
which reflects the new requirements of additional actors to be involved in
global governance issues, new opportunities for using technology to
facilitate internal operations and particularly external
linkages/participation, new geo-political realities etc.etc.

In the context of my simple set of options the reason that most folks on
reflection opt for #2 rather than #3 is probably because the ITU seems to
have not (been able?) to reform itself.  That being the case, surely those
who opt for #2 rather than #3 have a responsibility to suggest and begin a
process towards the development of suitable global institutional frameworks
which allow for the degree and content of governance/regulation which folks
seem to agree is required.

Alternatively those opting for #3 should be actively thinking about how to
introduce reforms into the ITU system (at the next Pleinpotentiary?) which
reflect the areas of unhappiness/distrust currently evidenced by the
anti-ITU campaigns.