[governance] New report makes clear upcoming WCIT proposals could conflict with WTO Members' obligations

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Wed Nov 28 10:46:23 EST 2012

Hi Nick,

conflicts between international treaties are not that unusual. Given the
increasing density of international organizations and agreements, and
the lack of any formal hierarchy among them legal inconsistencies happen
more often than one may expect.  An example that involves the WTO
concerns intellectual property rights. TRIPS and CBD, the convention on
biological diversity imply conflicting principles. They were negotiated
around the same time but reflect different concerns, actors and venues.
The fact that trade experts and WCIT advocates hardly take notice of
each other seems to make conflicting outcomes even more likely.

jeanette