[governance]On strategic thinking again (was Re: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/27/net-us-un-internet-idUSBRE8AQ06320121127 )

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Nov 28 10:26:12 EST 2012

Hi Ginger,

Is this statement useful for your needs?

  "I'm firmly in the middle between Michael's options #2 and #3".

Or with a bit more elaboration:

  "At the technical level there is nowadays no clear boundary line
  between what ITU is doing in regard to telephony and probably
  everyone agrees ITU should continue to do, and some aspects of what
  is clearly Internet governance and ITU cannot effectively do (if
  for no other reasons because so much fear of the ITU has been
  created)."

In my submission to the ITU I have suggested a way of introducing a
rather artificial boundary line (the main idea being to limit the scope
of applicability of the ITRs to what is done while using telephone
numbers for addressing purposes) which will not really help too much in
getting exiting and future public interest challenges addressed well,
but which should at least make it possible to get reality and the ITRs
aligned again:
http://www.itu.int/ml/lists/nomenu/arc/wcit-public/2012-08/msg00002.html
(The importance of getting rid of the need for creatively interpreting
the ITRs in ways that contradict what the text of the ITRs actually
says should be clear... how else can the ITRs be part of an effective
governance system for anything?)

But it's not just telephony that's becoming increasingly hard to
differentiate from Internet governance. The same is happening to
policy on international trade, to international diplomacy on human
rights matters, to media policy (which is extremely important because
democracy needs a credible variety of trustworthy and free media), etc.

In my opinion, we really need to create a mechanism of enhanced
cooperation on international public policy issues, because the
mechanisms of the industrial age (including, but not limited to the
ITU) are not meeting today's needs. I understand that at the time when
the Tunis agenda was drafted with just the right amount of creative
ambiguity, people were thinking of the unresolved concerns surrounding
ICANN when the words "enhanced cooperation" were put there. But the
realm of unresolved Internet-related public interest concerns is much
larger today.

Specifically, in comparison to the industrial age mechanisms of
international cooperation, I would emphasize needs for enhancements
with regard to the following aspects:
- full transparency and full multistakeholder participation rights and
  effective empowerment of global civil society participation (by means
  of either doing all the *international coordination* work
  electronically via the Internet, or by providing travel funding for
  all public interest advocates who can demonstrate subject matter
  competence and independence of the particular interests of the
  various big companies).
- use of logical strategic thinking tools (such as those of the Theory
  of Constraints).
- focus the *international coordination* processes on creating good
  input documents for informing the work of national parliaments where
  the hard work would take place of choosing the balance between
  conflicts of interest (as opposed to internationally negotiating
  take-it-or-leave-it treaties).

The world of now+5years will, for better or worse, be significantly
different from todays's world. The same will be true to an even greater
extent about the world of today+10years.

I think that we really need to have our eyes open as we go forward.

Greetings,
Norbert