[governance] 2013 Preparations for MAG

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 07:49:15 EST 2012

Now these are discussions:

Jeremy, I hold a different point of view. IF we want to carry on with
the main sessions in the current format, they have to be innovated and
innovated beyond the traditional notion of a main session. Having a
bunch of people on the stage for three hours and talking in all
directions inevitable is not a great achievement.

The MAG fears session innovation, how is it going to implement any
improvement thereof but I think otherwise that the MAG does have the
potential to improve and innovate the main sessions. There is no
binding to reducing the time Main Sessions. The MAG has done that in
the past even when I was on it. Yes, the previous lost MAG was weak
and handicapped because New York never gave clarity whether it was
approved to be a valid MAG until the last moment, very political, you
know all the chaotic management happening from 2010 to 2011 and thank
goodness it has found its way after Feb 2012.

On the note of the Main Session time duration. The time can be well
reduced as was evident during the IG4D Main Session in Kenya where all
other Main Sessions were following the 3 hour format and the IG4D Main
Session had both a good audience and a series of meaningful
contributions. Every time I passed by the Main Sessions this time, the
very low numbers of audience present appeared disinterested, sleepy,
bored and most of the time questions came from the usual faces. Don't
believe me, lets revisit the transcripts.

The Main Sessions should be completed in the first and second days,
full stop. Leave the rest of the two days to well-attended and
meaningful workshop participation.

Btw, its time to open up to new Main Session Topics such as Human
Rights, Internet Principles etc have to be brought in and I don't
expect the present MAG to continue to fail like we did. How will you
bring change if you don't even put your foot in the doorway? There has
to be some organized.

There is nothing wrong in organizing IGFs in developed countries. I
heard a rumor that the Qatari's were interested for bidding on
IGF'2014 and their Director General of Telecom was seen taking notes
and having discussions with Arabian participants but still its a
rumor!

Imagine if an IGF was to be organized in Qatar (home of Al-Jazeera).
The country is investing heavily in ICT and Internet infrastructure.
It has a well established international Airline Link with the world,
can issue visas on arrival and has the infrastructure to manage an IGF
right next to the Airport and City! The region can still benefit from
IGFs, ICANN Meetings, Internet Freedom Meetings etc. It is important
that the interest host countries have a good participation in the
IGFs. Egypt and Brazil are good examples of well attending countries
during IGFs.

The visa issue remains a challenge and this is where the MAG should
request the IGF Secretariat to invite the Swiss Mission to IGF open
consultations and observe MAG meetings so that issues related to
developing country participation in the preparatory process can be
well managed.

Best

Fouad