[governance] FW: [IP] ITU gone wild -- an invited (by me) note from Tony Rutkowski (comments welcomed :-) )

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Wed Nov 21 16:13:53 EST 2012

Ian,

I agree completely with "By all means argue for ITU to open up its closed meetings, but I do not think an alignment of opposition to ITU per se is sensible strategically." Personally I have always advocated keeping an open door and have worked with ITU whenever possible - since Tony was there actually back in the 80s, when we - conspired? - to help kill off the outmoded CCIR. There's certainly a lot of good things been done by the ITU over the past ~150 years.

That's a distinct issue however from agreeing with particular WCIT proposals that define packet networks of networks and various associated information services available across telecom networks, as the same thing as a telecom net, as some of the proposals under consideration at WCIT would ask us all to do.

Maybe it's because I am a prof at an Information School, but personally I am partial to information services, and would not like to see them all submerged in telecoms regulation. But that's just me, I am not speaking for the West, or Cowboys of any variety. And again speaking personally, I don't see this as west v east or north - south issue, or white hats vs black hats, it's really far more nuanced even than a Hollywood B movie ; )

Although the headlines and noise over the next few weeks will be heavy on criticizing villains.

So maybe we do have all the ingredients needed for another action - adventure! ; )

Although the final outcome, odds are, will be another long and boring text intended to fudge the big issues, for the next 30 years.  Hopefully one civil society, globally, can live with.

Lee