[governance] Google's Fight the ITU/WCIT website

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Wed Nov 21 05:08:04 EST 2012

Norbert Bollow [21/11/12 10:36 +0100]:
>> I fail to see how google selling email, collaboration etc services to
>> telcos has anything to do with the free and open internet here.
>
>You may need to read up on the very significant body of literature that
>exists about the effects of this kind of partnerships.

I haven't seen significant papers in this area, but am glad to be
corrected.

I do come from a background where my workplace (and my previous
workplace) have been large mail hosting shops that hosted mail for
everything from small businesses, ngos and universities to ISPs and free
webmail providers.  So - please do tell me just what effect outsourcing
your mail hosting has, from a governance standpoint. I might be able to
provide a counterpoint or two.

For the record, I've never worked for google, or outsourced any services to
google that I know of. So maybe that's a gap in my knowledge of this issue.

>Please let's refrain from any kind of ridicule and ad hominem attacks.
>
>Having a constructive discussion between people with very different
>viewpoints is challenging enough already in the absence of directing
>unpleasant, ridiculing words at anyone. Such ridicule is particularly
>problematic when it is used to attack someone who has a viewpoint that
>a large number of other participants find difficult to understand.

See.. what I find difficult to understand is a persistent failure by
it4change to do anything other than play politics.  I am on a large mailing
list that discusses internet issues in India - india-gii, run by Arun Mehta
(who has an enviable track record in ICT access for the disabled, and in
online privacy), and by Vickram Crishna (another name that might be
familiar in a similar context).  A few years back, we had it4change
"participating" in india-gii solely to use it as a place to send their
press releases, after which they'd absolutely not bother to join in any
discussion on the list that followed.  After a few requests to actually
engage and participate rather than use the list as a sort of online notice
board, we haven't seen them post any further press releases, but nor have
we seen them participate there.

So, right now, when Parminder posts his usual mix of politics and policy, I
do rebut some of it. This last post was far too outré for me to do anything
except agree with the other poster's question.

	srs