[governance] ICANN Net Address Endings to Face Government Objections

Fahd A. Batayneh fahd.batayneh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 00:50:26 EST 2012

I would never disagree, but let us go back into history and specifically to
the ICANN San Francisco meeting when .xxx was approved against the advise
of the GAC. While the GAC made a
statement<http://news.dot-nxt.com/2011/03/17/gac-statement-dot-xxx>part
of which was "THERE IS NO ACTIVE SUPPORT OF THE GAC FOR THE
INTRODUCTION OF THE DOT XXX TOP-LEVEL DOMAIN", the board never listened. It
was circulated that the board approved .xxx against the advise of the GAC
to push the New gTLD program forward.

Statistics state that 4 of the industry's biggest players have a say - in
total - more than 80% of the New gTLD applications. If the GAC opposes to
several applications for each, will they agree and give those applications
easily? After all, they are the same players who invest heavily in setting
up posh booths at ICANN meetings.

So who will prevail, GAC advise or the big guns?

In general, this is where ICANN has been failing; i.e. working in the best
public interest. While some saw .xxx as yet another TLD, many rejected it
for various reasons.

Fahd