[governance] NYT: Your Online Attention, Bought in an Instant

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sun Nov 18 12:08:24 EST 2012

Yes, that, and hotmail, yahoo and the like, are definitely free as in beer rather than free as in freedom.

But unless our standpoint is to be that industry must not be allowed to express any sort of opinion at all, or that whatever opinion they have somehow ranks less than an opinion expressed by a civil society group, we cannot (a) not put substantial work ourselves into policy and tech issues and (b) then accuse them of dominating the discourse.

Do note that I don't claim that they don't have customer service obligations.  They employ a sizeable staff, rather larger than the staff of many a large NGO, to provide email and other free services, and provide even the basic level of service that they do offer free accounts.

Sure, things can be better handled, there is always scope for improvement and all that, but I am sorry if I gave you the impression google has no customer service obligations at all to their free / ad supported customer base.

--srs (iPad)