[governance] [Dewayne-Net] Shutting Down The Phone System Gets Real: The Regulatory Implications of AT&T Upgrading To An All IP Network

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Sat Nov 17 12:55:46 EST 2012

parminder [2012-11-17 14:41]:
>     Apples gets a patent for 'page turn'
>
> <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/16/apple-now-owns-the-page-turn/?smid=tw-nytimesbits&seid=auto>
>
>     in any e-reader device in the US. Doesnt matter if software patents
>     are not allowed in most countries in the world. What matters is what
>     US authorities decide, and it would of course apply all over the world.

If bad domestic policy is what it takes for the USA to lose its
pre-eminence in hardware-branding, then so be it.  May a thousand ZTEs
and M-Techs and Micromaxes bloom in Apple's dust, and may a thousand
enlightened policies bloom in the ruins of America's patent policy
implosion.

I'm more concerned about the patent policies of global standard-setting
bodies (Unicode, ISO, 3GPP, ITU, IEEE, ETSI, W3C, ISO, IETF, and the
like) and the direction that browser companies push online content in
(I'm looking at you, H.264).

>     Verizon and Time Warner have come up with asix strike rule
>
> <http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/16/3654302/verizon-time-warner-copyright-alert-system>
>
>     to throttle Internet, which measure they claim is just for
>     educational purposes. And since everyone here seems to agree that
>     Internet should not be regulated, no one can tell them not to do it;
>     it is up to them how they configure and offer their 'commercial'
>     service.

That's a convenient straw-man.  Given how often people paint your
arguments in a uni-dimensional manner, one would think you would refrain
from responding to them in kind.  Alas!

Also, does this particular offence against online freedom affect people
outside the USA?  While I would stand up against bad policy everywhere,
I thought the reason you were raising it was to highlight how US
domestic policy affects other countries directly.  (I would point to my
favourite example of domain name seizures as being more appropriate.)

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director