[governance] IGF Workshops

Luca Belli lucabelli at hotmail.it
Wed Nov 14 06:00:40 EST 2012

Dear all,
My impression is that the workshop quality has increased, compared to IGF 6.
I think some efforts may be done in order to merge overlapping workshops but it is important to stress the distinction between “duplicate workshops” and workshops that analyse similar issues from a different angle. Indeed, many of the workshops have similar titles but completely different contents, format, etc.
For the sake of competition, I would say that it is better to have a wider choice of similar workshops and let the IGF participants “vote with their feet” by participating to the most valuable ones, rather than oblige workshop organisers to merge.
Furthermore, I would like to join Stuart’s nice comment on Workshop 146 (Intellectual Property Rights and the freedom to share: are the two compatible?). Although my opinion is not really impartial, because I was directly involved in the organization of the workshop, I have to say that I received a lot of positive feedbacks and the participants where extremely pleased by three main features of the session: 1) the workshop was an interactive roundtable: panellists engaged in a question-and-answer debate since the very beginning and they were not allowed to deliver lectures (they had a maximum of 3-4 minutes to reply my questions);  2) a large portion of the workshop was dedicated to interventions from the audience. Indeed, we all know that some of the most interesting inputs to the workshops discussions frequently come from the audience;  3) we have decided to promote an intergenerational dialogue: the panel make-up included 11 panellists that were born between the 1950s and 1990s, and that was a real surplus value.
I know that is not realistic to involve youngsters in every workshop, but I believe that the promotion of an intergenerational dialogue is the best way to seize the dynamics of an intergenerational Internet. Moreover, having some new faces around can just help strengthen the “legitimacy” of the IGF discussions.
Best regards.
Luca
PS: the workshop report will be available by the end of the week
Luca Belli
Doctorant en Droit PublicCERSA,Université Panthéon-AssasSorbonne University