AW: [governance] Civil Society outnumbered

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Nov 9 09:43:50 EST 2012

Chaitanya Dhareshwar <chaitanyabd at gmail.com> writes

>>    government - 429

>  And how many of the "Government" registrants are local contractors
>  working for the organisers. I recall one IGF where many of the hotel
>  staff at the venue were issued with badges, for example, so they
>  could circulate freely.

>Surely they wouldn't count them towards the attendees list?

I'm pretty sure they have in the past. And on another occasion there
were if I recall correctly quite a few local people with only a passing
interest in IG encouraged to attend. (They probably gained from the
experience, but it's not a good way to construct a benchmark of
organisational success).

The figures I would rely upon the most (given that it's a global
gathering) are those which exclude all host-country registrants.

That might be unfair if one day the IGF is hosted in (for want of a
better description) a G8 country, but it's a risk we have to take.
--
Roland Perry