[governance] Hamadoun Touré Op-Ed in Wired +

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 08:56:45 EST 2012

McTim,

I have no idea what the conference is "actually about", but even if it is
only camouflage at least he is raising the issue and I don't see any of the
folks who are semi-hysterical around the WCIT talking about anything even
approaching those issues.

At least in the US where AT&T is trying to do a similar deregulatory number
on the FCC they are willing to pay a reasonable price ($14 Billion for
additional connectivity) to get themselves off the regulatory hook.  What
are the folks who are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the ITU,
offering (except platitudes about the magical wonders of
"competition"--hardly of much use to subsistence farmers in Bangladesh or
Burkina Faso living on $1 per day)?