[governance] FW: Our internet is at risk

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu May 31 10:12:29 EDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Access Now [mailto:access at accessnow.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:26 AM
To: Michael Gurstein
Subject: Our internet is at risk

<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cd24/13a54daa/72fd7055/1de41c38/151709
430/VEsH/>

Countries
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cd24/13a54daa/72fd7055/1de41c38/151709
430/VEsE/> like China and Russia are trying to expand the power of a closed
UN body to give governments more control over the internet. Tell the ITU we
don't want it deciding the future of the internet and to make its plans
public!

<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cd24/13a54daa/72fd7055/1de41c38/151709
430/VEsF/>

Michael,

The internet we've come to know and love -- one that's open, decentralized,
and governed by many stakeholders -- is threatened.

Right now, several countries, including China and Russia, are proposing to
expand the powers of a non-transparent global institution, the International
Telecommunication Union (ITU), allowing it to change the rules on how our
internet is used and governed. And what's worse, the ITU won't even release
their negotiating documents to the public or give internet users a seat at
the table.

The ITU isn't used to public accountability, but together we can change
that. Let's tell the ITU that we don't want a secretive body where only
governments have a vote deciding the future of our internet!

<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cd24/13a54daa/72fd7055/1de41c38/151709
430/VEsC/> Click here to sign the petition demanding the ITU makes its plans
public and we'll work on delivering the petition at their next planning
meeting.

The ITU gives every country one vote -- that's why it's crucial we call upon
our individual governments to support our cause. Multi-stakeholder
governance of the internet is one of the reasons we can so easily access
sites around the world, share with our friends on social networks, and
participate in a global community.

Now, with the ITU renegotiating a new treaty this year, China, Russia, and
others are pushing proposals that would give governments greater control
over how you access the internet. Imagine how that might impact your
privacy, security, and freedom of speech online.

The ITU has played an important role in telecommunications and spectrum
management and its use for development, but this is not cause for expanding
its mandate. While an evolution of internet governance is needed (including
an examination of the role of the US), it should evolve in the same way that
it was originally designed -- in an open, decentralized, and inclusive
manner.

Civil society needs a voice in the ITU negotiations. We've cosigned a letter
with other organizations including the CDT (USA), CIS (India), FGV (Brazil),
EFF (USA), and EIPR (Egypt) urging all stakeholders to be a part of this
process and for the ITU to be transparent in their negotiations.

Click here to join us in our call to keep the ITU from
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cd24/13a54daa/72fd7055/1de41c38/151709
430/VEsD/> regulating the internet, publicly release its plans, and respect
our role in the internet's future by signing the petition below.

In solidarity,
The Access Team

For more information:
Civil Society urges openness, multi-stakeholder process for
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cd24/13a54daa/72fd7055/1de41c3b/151709
430/VEsA/> WCIT
ITU Move to Expand Powers Threatens the Internet
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cd24/13a54daa/72fd7055/1de41c3a/151709
430/VEsB/>
Hey ITU Member States: No More Secrecy, Release the Treaty
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cd24/13a54daa/72fd7055/1de41c35/151709
430/VEsO/> Proposals

  _____

Access is an international NGO that promotes open access to the internet as
a means to free, full and safe participation in society and the realization
of human rights. To help protect the internet around the world, you can
donate to Access
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cd24/13a54daa/72fd7055/1de41c34/151709
<https://www.accessnow.org/page/m/3717cd24/13a54daa/72fd7055/1de41c37/151709
430/VEsHBQ/>