[governance] Facebook profiles blocked and content removed in Brazil

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu May 31 02:39:55 EDT 2012

In message
<CAJwbTiALJVio67rYhihzX+nsFD9F5-y1EYNW6G7Ug-bBRwWgnw at mail.gmail.com>, at
09:31:42 on Thu, 31 May 2012, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> writes
>Facebook probably took this approach because its social network
>transcends multiple jurisdictions that have strict laws on "obscene
>publications". The recent petition filed by Vinay Rai in the New Delhi
>courts against Facebook and others. My personal take on it was that it
>was a commercial decision for "Facebook" and that it was far cheaper to
>take down offensive content if it were to put it in a position of being sued

Exactly - the same sort of commercial decision which would mean a lack
of xxx movies being shown on an international flight.

Removing the profiles is probably a knee-jerk too far though, freedom of
expression should allow the participants to discuss their protest
movement, even if commercial rules mean they can't display the pictures
on Facebook.

But we are often told how the Internet "routes round damage" in cases
like this, and there are numerous photo-sites (let alone a person's own
webspace supplied by their ISP) where these photos could be loaded, and
referred to from a discussion hosted on Facebook.

The Internet is not "just the Web", and the Web is not just Facebook.
Stories like this which give the impression that Facebook has an
unassailable monopoly simply feeds their marketing strategy.
--
Roland Perry