[governance] Facebook profiles blocked and content removed in Brazil

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu May 31 02:13:32 EDT 2012

On Thursday 31 May 2012 10:45 AM, Jac sm Kee wrote:
> Snip
> i've also been reading the conversations around EC and democratization
> of IG on this list with interest. and the thing that bugs me about
> looking at democratization starting from national democratic processes
> is that the potential of the internet to facilitate democratic
> participation and deliberations is precisely because it is currently
> still somewhat slippery from complete state control, as opposed to
> e.g. broadcasting media and books and streets. so i am reluctant to
> say that states should ahve oversight and negotiate it from there.
> although i understand that global governance and oversight is
> different from national, but when states become the highest hierarchy
> of authority, then my point of entry for engagement as civ soc would
> be from that level. it's not something i am optimistic about..
>
> anyway, 2 cents,
> jac

Jac, your misgivings about how civ soc will be able to influence things
are understandable. But it is not that with turning of a switch the
regulatory order will shift from the national to the global level.  In
making the demands for democratising global IG what is expected is
rather a complex interplay of global and national level of politics -
with certain degrees of government-ish authorities and corresponding
role and participative-ness of civ soc - as is appropriate to the
complex global-national nature of the Internet. There is no alternative
to such a layered national-global system because none of the other
options is acceptable, which I think are as below.

1) Facebook, and similar global social utilities, get completely
territorialised, serving each country a version that is specific to the
laws and customs of that country

2) We go by a global least denominator for the whole world (which as you
argue is not acceptable)

3) we leave things to private regulation, the will of the monopoly
companies almost entirely determined by maximum profit motive

In default, to me, our best political option is to seek an appropriate
national-global political system for the Internet, and keep struggling
for better and better avenues for civil society participation, while
warding off possible attempts at using the same avenues for even greater
corporate influence on Internet related policies.

As for global political systems necessarily producing lowest denominator
outcome, this is not true. Also such an argument can be used against any
political system and thus in its essence is simply an 'anti-political'
argument. However, ad hoc, one-off, arrangements and agreements among
governments are more likely to produce such lowest denomination like bad
results. More open, insitutionalised political processes generally tend
to produce better results, and that is what is being sought in our call
for democratising global IG.

parminder