[governance] USG forms subcommittee on global Internet governance

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed May 30 12:34:46 EDT 2012

Hi Avri

That meaningless afterthought is required by law and standard practice, e.g. the FCC Open Internet AC, the State Dept AC http://www.state.gov/e/eb/adcom/acicip/rls/120676.htm, etc.  Congress has one too but not under FACA I suppose http://www.netcaucus.org/advisory/

Obviously there's a need for more CS engagement in these.  In the 90s I used to go to the State Dept. AC from time to time and was usually the only CS person, or one of like 2 or 3, with 40-odd corporate folks.  While there was a large number of progressive public interest groups working in coalitions around Clinton Internet policies, the Telecom Act of 96, etc, the activities of intergovernmental organizations generally attracted less interest, including later WSIS etc.  That might be changing a little now with WCIT…maybe ITU will manage to mobilize people a bit :-)

Bill