IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed May 30 08:48:27 EDT 2012

Just to be clear, my original back and forth with McTim was not around ICT4D
or the general state of the IT industry or CS in Africa but had to do with
ensuring that there were voices from LDC's who would have the opportunity to
participate in discussions around CIR's -- the quote from McTim which I
responded to was "nation states should have zero "control" over CIRs", rich
or poor!"

I would be delighted to have a discussion (I assume in a different venue) on
the role of governments in ICT4D initiatives where I generally agree with
Annriette in her analysis of the relative effectiveness of governments
versus CS but am unclear as to what longer term strategies she might derive
from this.