IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue May 29 13:34:55 EDT 2012

Norbert,

Of course, that is really up to those countries and if/how they arrange it
depends on their internal processes and I would guess very much how they
prioritize these issues.  My guess is that they respond (like everyone else)
to crises, positive invitations and the advice of trusted advisors (for many
in many LDC's Internet issues are still seen within the telecom domain where
the trusted advisor is still the ITU!).

Being pro-active in engaging these folks in informed Internet policy related
issues would seem to me to be a good strategy from anyone's perspective
given the risks of uninformed action in these areas down the road. (This BTW
is a fairly strong argument for a WSIS.2...

(And no, I'm not absolutely sure that "it is possible to "separate out
technical from policy issues"' but I am completely sure that it is not a
productive, useful, or in the long term beneficial strategy to leave the
"policy" issues to be addressed in what is largely a "technical" forum (or
forums)--wrong people, wrong mind-sets, wrong framing of issues etc.etc.

How to get the right (mix of) people, right mind-sets, right framing of
issues together to address these issues is I think what we are currently
talking about on this list. The mix certainly should include technical folks
(if for no other reason than to ensure that the non-technical folks don't
bollocks up the technical matters) but the issues that need to be addressed
go way beyond anything that technical folks have any useful input into (as
technical folks) and need to be addressed by the array/mix appropriate to
the particular issue or issues.