IETF WAS Re: [governance] Enhanced Cooperation (was Re: reality check on economics)

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Tue May 29 11:35:47 EDT 2012

McTim,

The problem is that for many "poor countries (LDC's)" there is no "private
sector" in this area and for the most part no civil society with the
expertise or the financial resources to participate in these discussions or
to acquire the requisite expertise. So in the absence of governmental
involvement there will be no involvement from those parts of the world at
all.

That might serve the interests of some quite well, but not surprisingly the
folks in those countries without representation are beginning to feel
somewhat aggrieved.

The desire to keep governments out of technical areas is very likely a
commendable one, but in that instance it behooves the supporters of that
position to find some other means to ensure that those currently without a
voice in those discussions are provided with a means to have such a
participation.

The status quo always favours the incumbent.