[governance] IGF and Enhanced Cooperation

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Tue May 29 10:39:58 EDT 2012

Hi Avri

On May 29, 2012, at 1:40 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> I believe that the IGF12 will be remiss if it does not have a major session on EC and how the IGF can move the topic forward.

I agree, and think a pre-event (perhaps a half day?) would be better than tossing another 90 minute workshop into the mix with 100 others or whatever.

> BTW, I see no problem with the pre-session competing with Giganet.  There are people enough for both things.  I think the crowd that cares about EC is very different than the crowd that cares about academic papers on IG.

I suspect Giga-goers would be interested in an EC event.  One option might be to try something like what we did between GigaNet and APC in Nairobi, have a shared bit...

>  And we were told quite specifically by the hosts that their Ministerial had NOTHING to do with the IGF, so it makes no sense to let that stand in the way of anything.

I know you'd prefer EC without governments, but for others that might kind of miss the point. :-)

On May 29, 2012, at 2:25 PM, Izumi AIZU wrote:

> Third option is, to organize an Open Forum, I guess. It only says "All major organisations dealing with Internet Governance related issues are invited to submit proposals for Open Forum, using this form. The deadline for submission is 30 June 2012."

Open Forums are intended as showcases for individual organizations, e.g. Meet the ITU.   Wouldn't this be a rather odd and loaded context in which to have a discussion about the merits of creating a new UN body vs. enhancing cooperation among extant ones etc?

Bill