[governance] CSTD meeting on enhanced cooperation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue May 29 07:26:30 EDT 2012

On Thursday 24 May 2012 02:06 AM, SAMUELS,Carlton A wrote:
> Dear Parminder:
> Congrats on a very sober statement, especially with the consideration to separate the technical governance from the social/economic policy sides.  It is hardly possible for any disagreement with your identification of the major bugbear issue; true internationalisation of oversight of CIRs.  In this context,  I note your recognition of the weaknesses of of the oversight model represented by the CIRP proposal.  This is goodwill in action which hopefully, spurs development of a more inclusive approach.

Dear Carlton,

Thanks for your kind words, and the discriminating analysis. It will be
worthwhile, as you suggest, if we can further explore what the valid
concerns and fears of different sides are, in order to work towards
common positions on appropriate models for global internet governance.

We can start with the separation of technical governance side from
social-cultural side of IG. (we know they are also linked but the
separation here is only for considering different institutional models).
If we, for the present, discuss just the technical governance side, as
you acknowledge, 'internationalisation of oversight' is the most
contentious issue, and  a legitimate concern of non-US governments. Can
we try to propose a model of internationalising CIR oversight? (In one
of her recent emails, Anriette also refers to this as an important issue
of contention).

It is important to do so, if we have to legitimately argue for
safe-guarding existing distributed system of CIR management and
technical standards setting. The other option is that developing
countries lean towards the ITU, which can shift the terrain toward
development of a new top-down, centralised and bureaucratic CIR
management/ tech standards model.

We need to come out with a nuanced and comprehensive civil society
position on CIR management/ tech standards development which, to make an
opening proposition, may consist of the following elements

(1) Shifting oversight of CIRs from US gov to an international body,
that is outside the UN, and is composed of a globally representative
membership, representing global public interest. While different
possibilities and innovations can be tried, we also need to be
pragmatic, and maintain enough historical continuities vis a vis
existing principles of global governance systems. Just as a suggestion;
we may think of say 20 members, from different regions, that are rotated
by country, but within their country have good techno-social standing.
While they would have to have certain good/ clear relationship with the
concerend governments, their national process of selection/ nomination
can constitutionally be made broader, perhaps roping in technical
institutions in high standing, nationally. .... I am almost thinking
this up as I type.... (This could a good initial attempt to capture the
representativity of a 'new global public', but within pragmatic
possibilities). In any case, this body will have a very narrowly defined
role, with duly laid out procedure to fulfil it. There would not be much
proactive work for it to do at all. We can stick close to the model of
how US exercises oversight at present.

(2) ICANN, should of course, itself become an international body
constituted under international law, and enter into a host country
agreement with the host country. In fact, such is the extent of the
Internet power concentrated in the US that ICANN should ideally be
hosted in some other country. However, if that will make this
proposition that much more difficult, we may let US be the host.

(3) I am for an oversight body, as above, different from and above the
ICANN board as its operational decision making body for many reasons
that I can discuss separately.

(4) ICANN, and perhaps also technical standards development bodies, need
to come up with clear improvements, vis a vis capture by big business,
conflict of interest issues, transparency, accountablity, and even
democratic representativity of 'global public'. We can discuss this
separately, there being much to discuss here.

I also very much agree with the question raised by Anriette

          my question on what
        >  internet issues the ITU needs to consider? Other than telecoms
        >  infrastructure, broadband and so on?

Taking an attitude of "ITU should disappear from the front of my eyes"
wont be very useful. Lets also analyse and lay out those technical and
policy issues that may legitimately remain ITU's remit, for instance,
the kind of things Anriette refers to...

If we indeed make a clear and thorough proposal of how we see the whole
thing and what the needed directions of change are, we, as in civil
society, would have fulfilled an important role in the current deadlock.
This I think is one of the primary and most important roles of civil
society in the present context. We should step back from institutional
affinities and politics (yes, also from ICANNism :) ) and offer a
dispassionate analysis, and forward looking concrete proposals.

warm regards, parminder