[governance] CSTD: Adopted Resolution on WSIS and access to statements and recordings

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue May 29 05:56:27 EDT 2012

On Sunday 27 May 2012 09:14 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>

>> Wanting to globalize economic-ally and socially, without doing so politically, is ... vain fantasy of an anarchist ...
>>
> If by anarchist;s fantasy you mean:
>
> The long range goal of those who beleive in bottom-up  multistakeholder participatory democracy.
>
> we can talk.

Always happy to talk :). As with Michael, your new formulation enthuses
me, and I am ready to explore its implications. But as Michael says, we
will need to be able to show what it means in its final formulation,
what it means in the present context, what will be the expected
trajectory from the present to the ideal, what are our political
strategies and tactics (I am reminded I addressed almost exactly the
same questions to Wolfgang a few days back). There are pressing human
concerns - of life and death - that are involved here, and we need to
actually 'do' what is best to be done....

For instance, what does one mean when one says that government reps,
civil society reps and business (well. almost always big business) reps
should be considered on the same/ equal footing for all purposes. How do
decisions ever get taken in such a context? And if decision do not get
taken does it not perpetrate status quo, and work against our collective
notions (in the CS) of a better and fairer society. Even if a consensus
is always needed - which means big business too should also agree every
time - what kind of decisions will ever get taken.

Even otherwise, do you really think that in the decision making process
- I am not speaking of pre-decision making processes - a gov rep should
have exactly the same footing as whoever else happens to be able to get
entry into the room... There are simple direct questions of clear
immediate, as well as long term structural, relevance. We need to be
able to develop a clear stance on such issues if we are to be taken with
any seriousness in the political circles.

I also will never agree to consider a rep of a company - representing
narrow private interests - to be on equal/ same footing as a civil
society rep, who is supposed to represent wider public interest (even if
often/ sometimes of a sectional variety). No civil society actor, among
those whom we work here in India, and that includes grassroots level
ones, will accept such 'equal footing'. It is simply out of question!

Also, we cannot accept to take a 'formal' stand that government reps are
ok to represent the interest of government as different from that of
people. They may do so very often in practice, but this is something
that we will never accept formally as normative. We struggle so much,
internally, in our respective countries, to make sure that our
supposedly democratic government represents the aspiration and interests
of the people. Such struggles are made meaningless if we accede to such
a formal position. (this is why I have always linked the question of
multistakeholderism to the issue of democracy.)

In any case, if we take the 'equal footing' formula to its practical
application level, as I was discussing earlier, how does it actual work.
Can everyone who walks into the room have an equal role in decision
making. You know this can never work and any such process will be easily
captured. Then, as the only alternative, should there be a kind of
committee that takes decion on behalf of all those outside. This brings
us back to the original problem. Why not 'equal footing' relationship
between those out of the committee/ room and those inside? Finally, we
will have to have some kind of representative governance structure that
will be subject to same accountability and representativity questions as
governments are today, and of course any such structure contravenes
'equal footing' doctrine for a very large majority. So, I will like to
know, what exactly is meant by the 'equal/ same footing' doctrine of
multistakeholderism'. In my view there are both practical problems and
logical fallacies involved in this.

(On the other hand, we do know what is meant by equality of all people,
as enshrined in our constitutions, and as worked, rather imperfectly,
into our governance system. We should always keep trying to improve
these systems, and make them more democratic, bringing them as close as
possible to the ideal of equality of all people. )

Different kind of social actors have different roles in governance
systems, and these differences should be acknowledged. There is of
course 'equal footing' for all in an open consultative process, a 'town
hall' situation, but it cannot extent to throughout the governance
system. This is simply a recipe for governance paralysis, which the
'most powerful' want in any case. We cannot afford to play into their
hands.

There is no doubt that governance systems today are immensely challenged
vis a vis both their performance and representativity.  And we need
change. This is especially true for the global governance system which
faces unprecedented contexts and challenges. However, any blueprint for
change must, inter alia, be based on careful assessment of the different
roles of different actors on the political stage. Multistakeholderism
was always a good word here in the South, till it has started to be used
as a cover for corporatism in global and national politics. We must
therefore lay out our understanding of the different status and role of
different actors if we are to make progress in the direction that you
implore us to.

> I think your mistake is in not recognizing that achieving multistakeholder participatory democracy is a political goal.

As per above, I do think it is a worthy political goal to explore, if we
can converge our understanding of what really is meant here.

parminder