[governance] Who controls the World Wide Web?

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon May 28 05:27:26 EDT 2012

Couple of old quotes from this list, from past civil society statements:

At 5:23 AM +0100 3/20/03, karen banks wrote:
>Root Zone file
>--------------
>We would like to underscore that unilateral control of the root zone file
>is a public policy issue. We agree with WGIG that no single government
>should have a pre-eminent role in global governance of the logical
>infrastructure of the Internet.

(following was draft)

At 5:23 AM +0100 3/20/03, karen banks wrote:

>3. More specifically, it indicates that the current framework regarding US
>unilateral control over the root zone file currently working under the
>contract with VeriSign, will be maintained for an indefinite time into the
>future. This directly contradicts the consensus of WGIG: "No single
>Government should have a pre-eminent role in relation to international
>Internet governance" (in para 48 of the WGIG report").

Time to think about this again.  Hope it can be a
small part of enhanced cooperation we can agree
on.  And also perhaps agree on what we mean by
"ICANN", the article seems a but muddled, but if
you get by that there are some good points.

Best,

Adam