[governance] IGF and Enhanced Cooperation

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon May 28 02:35:04 EDT 2012

On 28/05/12 14:23, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
> both during the WSIS week in Geneva and recently on this mailing list
> I had the occasion to hear/read a number of persons claiming (rather
> forcefully) that the conclusions of the WSIS "clearly" meant the IGF
> to be the or at least an instrument to implement Enhanced Cooperation.
>
> Leaving aside for a moment the subsequent UNGA resolution on the
> matter (but noting that even though, strictly speaking, we are not
> talking about binding international law, the principle of "lex
> posterior" could apply) I would be curious to know your views on which
> passages of the WSIS texts could lead to such conclusion.

Lazily, just copying and pasting from page 518 of my 2008 book on the
IGF (http://books.google.com.my/books?id=G8ETBPD6jHIC):

"...there is no clear division between the role of the IGF and the
process of enhanced cooperation in the Tunis Agenda; rather the former
is treated as an integral component of the latter.[341] What can be
taken from this is that whilst governments will continue to maintain
sovereignty over the authoritative statement of public policy principles
in international and domestic law, those principles are to be developed
in a multi-stakeholder forum, the IGF (from where they may equally find
implementation through other, non-legal mechanisms of governance)."

[341] See WSIS, Tunis Agenda for the Information Society (as in n. 5 on
page 2), paras 67–72, in
which the middle paragraphs on enhanced cooperation are sandwiched by
those calling for the
establishment of the IGF.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm