[governance] Google in the New York Times:

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri May 25 10:37:49 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Andrea Glorioso
<andrea at digitalpolicy.it> wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:10 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Guru गुरु <Guru at itforchange.net> wrote:
>>> Mr. Vint Cerf and friends and colleagues should also read another recent
>>> (May 22, 2012)  NYT article
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> Here it is the permissionless innovation that is trampling human rights....
>>
>> So if I am "war-driving" your home or office, I am violating your human rights?
>>
>> If so, pls. explain...
>
> If you in the EU and, besides the SSID of my WiFi network, you are
> intercepting the content of my communication

which is being broadcast openly....

(which is what Google
> Streetview cars did - the jury is still open to what extent Google
> manager were aware of this) you are most probably violating art. 7
> (Respect for private and family life) and art. 8 (Protection of
> personal data) of the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European
> Union, as well as a bunch of other secondary laws.
>
> Other laws regulating human rights may apply as appropriate in other
> parts of the world - except maybe the US, where privacy/protection of
> personal data are not considered human rights, as far as I know.
>
> And no, the old argument "you should encrypt your data" does not
> apply. You are still violating my rights even though I'm so
> technologically dumb that I don't know how to use encryption (which,
> sadly, is apparently true for a very significant portion of human
> population).

Actually I run open-wifi wherever I go...even tho I do know how to encrypt
my data (and some I do)...I'm happy to allow "permissionless" use of my
Internet connectivity, even tho it may be verboten in some countries

> I would personally argue that even intercepting the SSID / WiFi
> network identifier and its associated data (is it encrypted or not,
> etc) would be such a violation, but I can easily accept that this is a
> much grayer area.

Seriously?

--
Cheers,